Main Content



Camaiore is a town of over 30,000 inhabitants, extending from the peaks of the Apuan Alps to the Ligurian Sea, in the heart of Versilia.The climate that characterizes the town of Camaiore is typical of Versilia, influenced by the action of the sea: mild in winter, not too hot in summer.The municipal territory includes 24 hamlets and among them the most famous and populated: Lido di Camaiore, a well-known beach resort with sandy beaches.

The history of the city of Camaiore dates back to 190 BC when the Romans, founded Lucca, decided to build Major Campus, from which the name Camaiore was derived.
Camaiore has many artistic jewels inside the walls, among which stands the Collegiate of Santa Maria Assunta, dating back to the middle of the 13th century, next to a bell tower of 1350, and the large central rosette of the 14th century. Of the same period is the Latin cross structure with double entrance. The dome was built in the 15th century, while in 1536 the church suffered serious damage due to the earthquake. In the 18th century the dome, the apse and the lateral chapels were rebuilt. The baroque style interior is divided into three naves with Romanesque columns. Among the preserved works of art is a sixteenth-century organ; a three-cuttlefish crucifix; a canvas representing the Madonna del Carmine; a marble altar of SS. Annunziata of 1659 and a sixteenth-century palace representing the Last Supper. Other things to see: the door of San Pietro or Lombricese, built in the same period of castelian walls, erected in 1374.

Along via IV Novembre, which follow the ancient Francigena route, there is one of the oldest churches in Camaiore, the Church of San Michele, present here already in 1180 and rebuilt after being damaged by the bombings of World War II.

Nearby, there is the small Olive Theater, which has the same structure as 1700 when it was built. Do not miss the visit to the church of San Vincenzo Confessore: built in the 16th century, it is known as the church of pain. The Romanesque Badia of San Pietro di Camaiore, preceded by the entrance arch of the ancient monastery already cited in 761. Founded by Benedictine monks, the church is what remains of the ancient monastery, together with the refectory and remains of the cloister, nowadays in private buildings.